Tamatyacha Varan (Tomato Dal)
A spicy, sweet and tangy varan or Dal.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 2 people
- 1 Cup Tur Dal
- 1 Chopped Tomato
- 1 Green Chilly I have slit the green chilly. You can chop it if you like it that way.
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Pinch Asafoetida
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai/Sarson)
- 1 Tsp Turmeric/ Haldi Powder
- 2 Tsp Red Chilly/ Lal Mirch Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander/Dhaniya Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala/Kala Masala
- 2 Tbsp Jaggery
- 2 Cups Warm Water To cook the dal
- Salt as per taste
Heat Oil in frying pan/ Cooker. Add Asafoetida and Mustard Seeds. After the Mustard Seeds crackle, add the slit green chilly.
Add chopped Tomatoes and stir. Let the tomatoes cook until soft.
Add the dal and mix well.
Add warm water, jaggery, salt and Garam/Kala Masala and mix well. Cover and cook for 3-4 whistles. After the pressure is released, add coriander and serve hot.