Wheat is the most common cereal available in the world and has many health benefits. It is believed to be one of the most wholesome food items and ensures a nutritious diet.
Today I was feeling a little lazy and so cooked up a quick and nutritious Maharastrian dish – Wheat Flour Upma (Ukadpendi). Here’s the recipe.
Wheat Flour Upma (Ukadpendi)
- 1 Cup Wheat Flour
- 2 Cups Hot Water I didn't say boiled water as we need it to be steaming hot.
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Pinch Asafoetida
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai/Sarson)
- 4-5 Curry Leaves (Kadipatta)
- 1 Green Chilly chopped
- 1 Tsp Turmeric/ Haldi Powder
- 2 Tsp Red Chilly/ Lal Mirch Powder You can adjust this according to your taste
- Salt as per taste
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Chopped Coriander For garnishing
- Heat a pan. Add oil. When the oil is hot, add Mustard Seeds, Asafoetida, Curry Leaves and Green Chilly
- Add Turmeric/ Haldi Powder and Red Chilly/ Lal Mirch Powder. Mix and add the flour. Roast till you get an aroma of the flour.
- Now add Salt and Coriander. Note: We add the Coriander in this step so that it gets mixed properly in the upma. If you desire, you can add it later. Next, add the hot water carefully as it may splutter. Mix quickly so that no lumps are formed. Add lemon juice and mix again. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Wheat Flour Upma (Ukadpendi) is ready.