Vegetables are a great source of nutrition and can be a part of your daily diet. However, not all vegetables are created equal. Some veggies may be higher in potassium, magnesium, or other beneficial minerals than others.
They can be leaves, roots or seeds. They are grown all over the world and health advisors recommend consuming them daily as they contain all nutrients essential to the body.
Vegetables help in improving digestion, maintaining proper heart health, maintaining blood sugar levels and much more.
Knowing which veggies have the best nutritional value can help you make healthier selections when shopping for vegetables.
How are vegetables eaten
While most vegetables need to be cooked, there are many that can be eaten raw too.
You can combine vegetables to make a delicious salad. You can steam or boil them. You can roast them and also cook them with spices.
Here are five of the healthiest vegetables, along with their health benefits and recipes you can make with them:
- Spinach: Spinach, one of the healthiest vegetables, is a green leafy vegetable which is rich in iron and calcium. It has a lot of water content and is rich in anti-oxidants.
How to eat: Spinach can be eaten raw in salads or you may even cook it by adding it to dishes like Khichadi, Paratha and Dal.
- Green Peas: Green peas, commonly known as mutter in India, are another healthy vegetable. It is a winter crop grown in most of the world. It is rich in vitamins, fiber and proteins. It is helpful in weight-loss and regulating blood sugar levels.
How to eat: Green Peas can be eaten raw or can be added to recipes like Paratha, Khichadi, Upma and Tikkis.
- Sweet Potato: Sweet potato, commonly known in India as Shakarkand or Ratale in Maharashtra, is a healthy root vegetable rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber. It is good for the eyes and brain.
How to eat: Sweet potato is eaten both as savory and sweet in India. It can be used in recipes such as chaat and also to make fasting recipes. It can be boiled and eaten with milk too.
- Carrot: Carrot is a healthy root vegetable which helps in maintaining a healthy heart and stomach as it is rich in calcium and fiber. It is a good immunity booster and is very good for the skin too.
How to eat: We get carrots all year round in India. The pink ones that we get in winter are very sweet and are used to make seasonal recipes like Gajar ka Halwa and Pickles. You can eat it raw and also use it in other recipes like paratha, khichadi, soup and juice.
- Cabbage: Cabbage is loaded with nutrients. It helps improve digestion and helps keep your heart healthy
How to eat: Cabbage can be eaten raw in salads or cooked as a vegetable to be eaten with rotis. Parathas made with cabbage are also a great option.
The more you add vegetables in your meals, the more your body will have to work at digesting and absorbing the nutrients, making it easier for you to lose weight.
Making vegetables a regular part of your diet is an easy way to ensure that you’re eating a nutritious and varied diet that will keep you feeling healthy all day long.
You can add vegetables to recipes you already make, such as soups, salads, vegetable dips, and other side dishes.
Here are some recipes that you can try that contain the above nutritional vegetables:
So, go on, add vegetables to your diet and leep the good fats, minerals, and vitamins coming and enjoy a much healthier cooked meal!
All health content on flavorsfromindia.com is provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your doctor. If you have any concerns about your health, you should contact your local healthcare provider.