I remember mom used to make Moong Dal or Tur Dal Khichadi when anyone was sick. It is known to be a comfort food which digests easily and so is eaten when the digestive system is weak due to some illness.
However, you can eat khichadi as an option when you want to cook something real fast or when you are just not in the mood to get into the long process of cooking many items for lunch or dinner. You can even add some vegetables to make it a complete meal. Here’s how…
Tur Dal Khichadi
A quick and easy to make, healthy Khichadi.
- 3-4 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Pinch Hing/Asafoetida
- 1 Tsp Jeera/Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai/Sarson)
- 1 Diced Potato (Medium sized)
- 1/2 Cup Peas/Mutter
- 1/2 Cup Diced Carrot
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric/ Haldi Powder
- 1 Tbsp Red Chilly/ Lal Mirch Powder
- 1 Tbsp Coriander/Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala/Kala Masala
- 1/4 Tsp Khada Garam Masala powder (Optional)
- Salt as per taste
- 1 Cup Rice
- 1/2 Cup Tur Dal
- 2 1/2 Cup Warm Water
- Mix the rice and dal, wash it thoroughly and soak it in water for 5-7 minutes.
- Heat oil in a cooker. When the oil is hot enough, add Hing, Rai and Jeera. When the Rai and Jeera crackles, add all vegetables and mix well. Cover the cooker with the lid (place it half over the cooker) and cook the vegetables for 2 minutes. Next add all the remaining spices and mix.
- Drain the rice and dal and add it to the vegetables and mix. Add warm water and salt. Cover the cooker and cook for 6-7 whistles then simmer and cook for 4-5 mins.
- Serve hot with a little ghee/pickle and Papad.
- Tur dal takes time to cook so make sure you give the khichadi at least 20 mins. Adding warm water helps speed the process a little.
- You can use Ghee instead of oil.
- This recipe can be made using Green or Yellow Moong dal too.