When it comes to deciding upon what to eat with rice, everyone in my house votes for ‘Tamatyacha Varan‘. We just love it.
Varan-bhat or Varan-Poli is one of the staple dishes in Maharashtra. There are various versions of Varan or Dal that are made in each house. Last week I had shared the recipe of ‘Aamti‘ where i used Kokum to add a tangy taste to the Dal. You can find the recipe here – https://www.flavorsfromindia.com/recipe/aamti-kokum-dal/
Today I am sharing with you the recipe of our favorite Tamatyacha Varan – A spicy, sweet and tangy version of the varan or Dal.
Tamatyacha Varan (Tomato Dal)
- 1 Cup Tur Dal
- 1 Chopped Tomato
- 1 Green Chilly I have slit the green chilly. You can chop it if you like it that way.
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Pinch Asafoetida
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai/Sarson)
- 1 Tsp Turmeric/ Haldi Powder
- 2 Tsp Red Chilly/ Lal Mirch Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander/Dhaniya Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala/Kala Masala
- 2 Tbsp Jaggery
- 2 Cups Warm Water To cook the dal
- Salt as per taste
- Heat Oil in frying pan/ Cooker. Add Asafoetida and Mustard Seeds. After the Mustard Seeds crackle, add the slit green chilly.
- Add chopped Tomatoes and stir. Let the tomatoes cook until soft.
- Add the dal and mix well.
- Add warm water, jaggery, salt and Garam/Kala Masala and mix well. Cover and cook for 3-4 whistles. After the pressure is released, add coriander and serve hot.