I remember my mom used to make many different kind of pickles all year round. Her winter specialty was this ‘Saunf ki Mirchi’ – a less spicy, long thick green chilli stuffed with fennel seeds and just two other spices. It added a superb taste to the meals! This pickle is for people who love to have a spicy taste in their food.
Stuffed Chilli Pickle (Saunf ki mirchi)
- 10-12 Green Bhavnagari Chillies The chillies should be ripe ad unwrinkled.
- 4-5 Tbsp Fennel Seeds Roughly ground
- 1 Tbsp Turmeric/ Haldi Powder
- 1 Tbsp Methi (Fenugreek) seeds Roughly ground
- Salt as per taste
- 1 Cup Oil
- Slit the chillies lengthwise. Note: Remove the seeds if you want to reduce the pungency. I have not removed the seeds.
- Mix all the dry ingredients and stuff it in the chilles.
- Transfer the chillies, along with the remaining stuffing mixture, to a glass jar.
- Cover the glass jar with a cotton cloth and let it sit for 18-20 hours.
- Heat oil to smoking point and then cool it to room temperature. Pour this oil over the stuffed chillies and mix well ensuring the chillies don't break. Cover the jar again with cloth and let the pickle marinate for two to three days.
- The pickle is ready to eat when the chillies are a little soft.