When you think of what you can eat during a fast the first thing that pops into the mind is sabudana khichdi.
Even though I like sabudana khichadi, eating the same thing every time had become boring. So, one day my mom prepared ‘Sabudana Appe’ and I loved it a lot. This is a different version of Sabudana Vada and is prepared in an ‘Appe Patra’. Making it this way ensures less usage of ghee thus making it a little healthier.
A tasty version of Sabudana Vada.
- 1 Cup Sabudana (Tapioca Pearls) (Soaked in water for 3-4 hours)
- 2 Tsp Red Chilly/ Lal Mirch Powder
- 2 Tbsp Groundnut powder
- 1 Tsp Jeera/Cumin
- Salt as per taste
- Water as required
- Ghee or unsalted butter
- Add all the ingredients to the soaked Sabudana and mix well.
- Add little water to get a flowing consistency.
Note: The batter should be thick but flowing i.e. you should be able to pour it in the Appe patra with a spoon.
- Grease the appe patra with ghee.
- Pour the sabudana mixture in the appe patra. Cover and cook until the bottom side is crisp and comes out clear when you try to release it.
- After the bottom side of the Sabudana Appe is cooked, gently flip it over using a pointed object such as knife. Pour a little ghee around the appe and cover and cook till the other side is crisp.
- Serve hot with your favorite dip/chutney.
I have served the Sabudana Appe with my favorite Coconut Chutney.
Note: Sabudana Appe tend to get flat if kept for long. So, it is best to eat it while it is still fluffy.