Raw Mango pickle is a tasty pickle that is made in summer and enjoyed by all. My recipe here requires ingredients easily available in the kitchen along with, of course, fresh green mangoes.
Raw Mango – A summer delight
Raw mango, commonly known as ‘Kairi’ in most parts of India, can be eaten raw on their own, simmered with vegetables or spices, or added to a variety of delightful pickles and chutneys for a treat fit for royalty.
You could even make this excellent cool drink using raw mangoes to enjoy on a hot summer day.
Raw Mango – Health Benefits
Like all seasonal fruits, raw mangoes have health benefits too. Listing some here:
- Provides relief from summer heat and helps keeping the body hydrated
- Is high in fibre and thus helps in digestion
- Supports heart health
- Supports eye health
Raw Mango Recipes
There are many interesting raw mango recipes that are made across India and they have many stories attached to them that have passed over generations.
We had a mango tree in our backyard which bore a good quantity of fruit every year. I remember being excited to see the fruit growth cycle – flowers blooming to fruit set, and then climbing atop the terrace, and then the easily reachable branches, with one of our workers, to pluck the raw fruit.
It was a yearly ritual. The mangoes were then cleaned and distributed to family and friends in batches of kilos. The remaining were then sorted to make lip smacking recipes.
I remember my mother used to make many delicacies with this delicious fruit – Kairi Panha, Sakharamba (Mango jam), Methamba (instant Mango jam) and Pickle to name a few.
Raw Mango Pickle
While I plan to share all these recipes with you, today I will share my favorite recipe of Instant Raw Mango Pickle.
Raw Mango pickle is very easy to make and does not require to be kept in the sun. That means you can treat your taste buds instantly! Made with spices easily available in the house, for me, this pickle is a must have every summer.
Instant Raw Mango Pickle
- 2 Raw Mangoes Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Methi (Fenugreek) seeds Roughly grounded
- 1 Tbsp Splitted dehusked mustard seeds (Mohrichi dal in Marathi)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Red Chilly/ Lal Mirch Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric/ Haldi Powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1 Cup Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Asafoetida
- Heat oil in a pan up to smoking point. Turn off the flame and let the oil cool a little.
- Take all the ingredients, except raw mangoes, in a bowl and mix them.
- Add the hot oil and mix well. Make sure the oil is not very hot as that may burn the spices.
- Let this mixture cool down to room temperature. Then add the chopped raw mangoes and mix well.
- Transfer to a clean, moisture free, air-tight glass jar. Cover and keep for 3-4 hours before eating. Enjoy with your favorite parathas or dal chawal!
You can also make this pickle by grating the Raw Mango.
This pickle tastes best with Parathas. You can eat it with bread too.
Here are some paratha recipes for you to try:
All health content on flavorsfromindia.com is provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your doctor. If you have any concerns about your health, you should contact your local healthcare provider.
Liked this pickle recipe? You may like this too: