Rava Sheera is a mouth watering sweet dish made using just four ingredients.
As they say ‘shuruvat meethe se’. I’m posting my first recipe here so thought of starting with a sweet dish.
Sharing the step by step Rava Sheera recipe with pictures.
Rava Sheera is a delicious Maharashtrian dessert that is usually made for breakfast, especially in the Brahmin community.
The recipe that I have shared here is the one that is made at the time of Satyanarayan Pooja to be distributed among blessing seekers.
This delicacy is made using just four ingredients that are easily available in the kitchen – Rava, Sugar, Milk and Ghee.
There is a specific measurement ratio of ingredients to be followed to make the perfect Rava Sheera. It tastes best if made in the ratio of 1:1:2 i.e. 1 cup Rava : 1 Cup Sugar : 2 Cups Milk.
Rava Sheera is a famous sweet dish and you will definitely find it on the menu of all Maharashtrian restaurants accross the globe.
Rava Sheera is made all of India and has different names accross the country viz., it is called Sooji ka Halva in North India and Rava Kesari in South India.
The basic recipe is the same with minute differences – Sooji ka halva is made using water instead of milk and Rava Kesari has color and Saffron in it.
Here are some tips which can help you make the perfect Rava Sheera:
1. Follow the 1:1:2 ratio
2. The ghee has to be just perfectly hot – too hot ghee may lead to the rava getting burnt.
3. Use fine rava
4. Make sure to roast the rava very well i.e. until the ghee releases. This ensures that the rava has cooked properly and doesn’t taste raw.
5. The milk has to be at room temperature as too cold or too hot milk may cause the dish to go bad.
We always make Rava Sheera for naivedya or bhog when we have the Satyanarayan pooja every year during the auspicious month of Shravan.
You can also make this for other poojas, Ganpati festival, diwali or simply for your Sunday morning breakfast.
You may like my other sheera recipes too:
1. Kanik Sheera
- 1 Cup Rava/Sooji/Semolina
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Cups Milk
- 3/4th Cup Ghee or unsalted butter
- Chopped dry fruits of your choice I have used Cashew Nuts, Green Pistachio, Almonds and Raisins
- 1 Pinch Cardamom Powder
- Add ghee to a non stick pan and heat. The ghee should be hot enough before adding the main ingredients.
- Now add Rava/Sooji/Semolina and roast it till you get an aroma.
- After this add milk and mix. The mixture will become thick. Keep stirring and add sugar.
- Mix again and cover with a lid and let it get steamed for 2-3 minutes.
- Rava Sheera is ready. Add the Cardamom powder and dry fruits and serve hot.
3 thoughts on “Rava Sheera”
Comments are closed.