Laddoos are made across India in different ways and are a favorite among young and old. No occasion is complete without Laddoos.
I remember mom used to make different types of laddoos all through the year but there was a special laddoo that was made during Diwali – Darabhyacha Ladoo – a Khandeshi recipe. This laddoo is made using home made Rava and Maida and is a must have during all occasions of the Leva Patil community in Khandesh.
This laddoo tastes best when made with home made Rava and Maida but I have made it using regular Rava and Maida that you get in the grocery store.
Rava & Maida Laddoo
A sphere shaped sweet made during festivals.
- 1 Cup Rava/Sooji/Semolina
- 1 Cup Maida
- 1 Cup Ghee or unsalted butter
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cardamom Powder
- Crushed/Chopped dry fruits (I have used crushed Pistachio, Cashew nuts, Almonds and Raisins. You can use any dry fruits of your choice – chopped or crushed. You can even omit it.)
- Heat ghee in a pan and roast Rava.
- When the rava is half roasted, add maida and roast the mixture till you get an aroma. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and keep covered in a cool place overnight.
- After the rava and maida mixture has settled overnight, transfer it to a mixer/food processor and grind it for 2-3 minutes. Again transfer the mixture to a bowl and mix a little with hands. Add the cardamom powder and dry fruits, mix well and make laddoos. When stored in an air tight container, the laddoos stay nice for 15-20 days.