Ganesh Chaturthi = Tasty Modak prasad. This was the equation I grew up with.
I remember Aai and Baba bringing Lord Ganesha’s idol home and worshiping Him with devotion and gratitude for ten days and not wanting to see Him off then. Ganeshotsav was and still is my favorite festival. Having Lord Ganesha at home has always been a special feeling. I love every aspect of this festival – the floral decorations, the Puja, the Aarti and the Prasad. Mom used to make so many sweets to offer to Ganpati Bappa! I have tried making one of my favorite sweet here – Olya naralache Modak – of course with her guidance 😉 Do check out the recipe and let me know your views.
Olya naralache Modak (Wet coconut Modak)
- 2 Grated Coconuts
- 1 Cup Grated jaggery
- 1 Tsp Poppy Seeds
- 2 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 Cup Chopped Cashew nuts & Raisins You can add any of your favorite dry fruits
- 2 Cups Maida
- 1/2 Cup Rava/Sooji/Semolina
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 Cup Milk/Water
- 2 Tbsp Warm ghee/oil
- 1 Tbsp Ghee/Oil for stuffing tadka
- Ghee/Oil for frying
- We need the stuffing to cool down completely before we make the Modak. So, let us make the stuffing first.
- Take 1 Tbsp ghee/oil in a pan and heat it. Add poppy seeds and let it crackle.
- Now add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Add jaggery and mix well.
- Cook until the jaggery is completely melted and it starts to lose moisture. You need to be very careful about this as over cooking may lead to caramalization of jaggery.
- When cooked, remove the mixture in a bowl.
- Add Cardamom powder and dry fruits to the mixture. Set aside to cool.
- Take maida and rava in a bowl and add salt and knead a soft dough. You can use either Milk or Water to knead the dough. Cover and set the dough aside for 20-25 mins.
- After the rest time is over, take the dough and knead it a little to give it a uniform texture. Divide the dough into small balls. Roll each ball and add sufficient amount of stuffing to this.
- Give the balls the shape of a Modak.
- Fry the Modak in Oil or Ghee on medium flame until it gets a golden color.