I remember mom used to make Moong Dal Khichadi when anyone was sick. It is known to be a comfort food which digests easily and so is eaten when the digestive system is weak due to some illness.
However, you can even eat khichadi as an option when you want to cook something real fast or when you are just not in the mood to get into the long process of cooking many items for lunch or dinner.
Moong dal and rice take very little time to cook and you can add some vegetables to make it a complete meal. Here’s how…
Moong Dal Khichadi
A quick and easy to make, healthy Khichadi.
Servings 2 people
- 3 Tbsp Ghee or unsalted butter
- 1 Tsp Jeera/Cumin
- 1 Chopped Potato
- 1 Chopped Carrot
- 1/2 Cup Corn Kernels
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric/ Haldi Powder
- 1 Cup Rice
- 1/2 Cup Moong Dal I have used Green Moong dal. You may use Yellow Moong dal if you like.
- 2 1/2 Cups Warm Water
- Salt as per taste
- 1/4 Tsp Khada Garam Masala powder or Kala Masala You can use either of the two.
- Mix the rice and dal, wash it and soak it in water for 5-7 minutes.
- Take ghee in a cooker and heat it. When the ghee is hot enough, add Jeera.
- After the Jeera crackles, add the vegetables and mix. Cover the cooker with the lid (place it half over the cooker) and cook the vegetables for 2 minutes.
- Drain the rice and dal and add it to the vegetables and mix.
- Add warm water, salt and Khada Garam Masala powder and mix.
- Cover the cooker and cook for 4-5 whistles. Serve with a little ghee/pickle and Papad.