Koshimbir is a traditional Maharashtrian dish which is nothing but a salad in which mostly yogurt or groundnut powder is used along with vegetables like onions, tomatoes, cabbage or raddish. It does not need any cooking and so is rich in nutrients and light on the stomach.
Koshimbir – A must have in Summer
Our body, obviously, feels the need to have something cool in summers. At such times, apart from water and cold drinks, a cool refreshing salad can be a great option.
Salads are a healthy dieter’s dream. Salads are very low in calories and will help you shed pounds fast. Adding fresh vegetables and fruits and good-quality fats like curd, olive oil and nuts to a healthy salad help the body to absorb more nutrients.
If you have just started eating healthy, salads can make an excellent part of your meal time. It is easy to prepare salads since all you need is a simple chopping of veggies and a few other ingredients.
One great thing about eating salads is that you do not get unhealthy calories from them.
The health benefits of eating salads go beyond helping you shed pounds. The antioxidants are well absorbed by the body, which helps fight the signs of aging and other illnesses.
You can try eating salads that are high in antioxidants on a regular basis as part of your overall diet plan.
Rich in Fiber
Another one of the health benefits of eating a salad is the fiber content. When you eat raw vegetables, you can feel satisfied as the fiber binds with the food you eat thus helping to reduce the amount of fat and calories you take in.
What can you add to a Salad?
Your salad can have just one vegetable or fruit or a combination of many.
Here are some fruits and vegetables that you can add to your salads:
- Tomato: Tomato which is used in many Indian recipes has a lot of health benefits.
- It is good for the skin and hair
- It helps maintain a healthy heart
- It is loaded with fiber and is thus good for digestion
- It helps regulate blood sugar
- Onion: Almost all gravy recipes in the Indian cuisine have onion as a base ingredient. We even serve raw onion with our food. There are many benefits that this vegetable offers:
- Onions are low in calories and high in nutrients
- Are loaded with anti-oxidants. This means they are good for the heart.
- Onions help control blood sugar
- Have high fiber content and are, thus, good for digestion
- Cabbage: Cabbage is another wonderful vegetable that you can add to your salad. It tastes great raw and adding seasoning just enhances the taste. There are many benefits this vegetable has to offer:
- Cabbage is loaded with nutrients
- It has a high water content
- Cabbage contains high fiber and is good for digestion
- It helps improve your heart health
- Radish: Radish is a water rich ingredient that can make a superb salad. Here are some benefits that it has to offer:
- Reduces risk of diabetes
- Improves liver function
- Improve blood flow
- Rich in fiber
There are many other vegetables and fruits that you can add to your salad like Cucumber, Beetroot, Lettuce, Pomegranate, Banana, Apples and many more. You can add a dressing of your choice to any one or a combination of the above and make a delicious and healthy salad.
There are plenty of recipes available on the internet which can be used as guidelines. Just remember to add a variety of ingredients to provide maximum health benefits.
If you make your own dressings you can be creative and add herbs and spices to create delicious combinations. Herbs such as coriander, mint, ginger and basil are excellent for adding taste and aroma to your salads.
Here are some of my salad recipes that you may love:
The nutrients found in vegetables provide plenty of energy to help you live longer. Your body needs vitamins and minerals to stay strong and healthy. So don’t just live longer, have a longer healthier life by eating a healthy salad every day!
All health content on flavorsfromindia.com is provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your doctor. If you have any concerns about your health, you should contact your local healthcare provider.
You may also like to read:
- Fruits – Excellent source of Happiness and Health
- Vegetables – Powerhouse to wellbeing | Discover Benefits with 6 Recipes