Kandyacha Kalsa is a Maharashtrian side dish that is generally made to be eaten along with Dal-Roti. It is dry and so goes as a good combination with Dal or some gravy. I also make it when there is just Aamras and Poli on the menu.
Onions have many antibiotic and antiseptic properties that help you stay away from infections. You can get more information here.
Gram flour or besan is a highly nutritious food which provides us with lots of health benefits.
Kandyacha Kalsa (Tempered Onion with gram flour)
A spicy dish of tempered onions mixed with gram flour.
- 2 Medium size Onions chopped
- 2 Tbsp Besan/Chane ka Atta or Gram Flour
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai/Sarson)
- 1 Chopped green chilly
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric/ Haldi Powder
- 2 Tsp Red Chilly/ Lal Mirch Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander/Dhaniya Powder (Optional)
- Salt to taste
- Chopped Coriander (For garnishing)
- Heat Oil in a pan and add Mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds crackle, add the chopped green chilly.
- Add the chopped Onions and stir.
- Add all the spices and salt.
- Mix well and cook for around five minutes or till the onion is soft.
- Add the gram flour gradually and mix. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. You may add a little water if required i.e. if you feel the mixture is too dry.
- Remove the kandyacha kalsa in a bowl and garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot.