Kande Pohe is a very delicious and super healthy Maharashtrian breakfast. It is a wholesome meal in itself and is highly nutritious.
What is Poha?
Poha is nothing but parboiled, flattened rice. It is easy to digest and is a good source of Iron and Carbohydrates, thus making it a healthy breakfast option.
Most homes in India start their day with this healthy breakfast. There are many forms in which it is eaten across the country. Some love to have their poha with a bowl of milk. Others may like to eat it as a chivda. The most common form which is also a favorite of almost every Indian is the one that is cooked with onions or potatoes.
This versatile breakfast can be made using vegetables like green peas and carrots too. You may add these in combination with onion and potatoes or otherwise. Either way your poha is sure to taste great.
Kande Pohe is Maharashtra’s favorite breakfast. Each household in the state has its own recipe for this dish. The main ingredient, however, as the name suggests, is kanda or onion.
This dish is made by rinsing thick poha in water and then cooking it by adding onion and spices. Poha absorbs water quickly and thus rinsing it in running water for about a minute is enough.
Kande Pohe – My favorite since childhood
Weekends were special for us as we used to get to eat our favorite breakfast – Pohe. We used to wake up early even on a holiday as we looked forward to eating a steaming hot bowl of Pohe flavoured with crunchy peanuts and onion!
I am sharing with you my mom’s fool-proof, incredibly easy recipe of making this delicious breakfast. You may also top it with grated fresh or dry coconut or sev/bhujia.
- Cooking Spoon
- 1 Cup Poha There are three types of Poha available in the market - Thin, Medium and Thick. Use Medium Poha for best results.
- 1 Tsp Turmeric/ Haldi Powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai/Sarson)
- 2 Green Chilies Chopped
- 1 Onion Finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Peanuts/Groundnuts/Shengdana
- Juice of Half lemon
- Chopped Coriander For garnishing
- Wash the Poha and keep it aside for 4-5 minutes. I have used a colander. You may wash the poha in a bowl and drain the water.1 Cup Poha
- Add the Turmeric/ Haldi Powder, Salt and Sugar over the Poha and keep aside.1 Tsp Turmeric/ Haldi Powder, Salt as per taste, 1 Tsp Sugar
- Heat Oil in a pan. When the Oil is hot enough, add Mustard Seeds and chopped Green Chilly. Add Onion and cook till it turns pink. Add Peanuts and roast till they change color.2 Tbsp Oil, 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai/Sarson), 1 Tbsp Peanuts/Groundnuts/Shengdana, 2 Green Chilies
- Now add the Poha and mix. Cover and cook for two to three minutes.1 Cup Poha
- Add the Lemon juice and Coriander and mix. Poha is ready. Serve hot.Juice of Half lemon, Chopped Coriander
Do try this nutritious breakfast. You may also like this Chivda I made using a different kind of poha.
Some other breakfast recipes: