Indian meals always consist of some pickles to go with rice and dal. One such seasonal pickle is Gajar Ka Achaar (Carrot Pickle) – a spicy and tangy instant pickle that can be made in just 20 minutes and stays good for a week.
Gajar Ka Achaar (Carrot Pickle)
A spicy and tangy instant pickle.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 3 people
- 2 Chopped pink Carrots
- 1 Tbsp Methi (Fenugreek) seeds Roughly grounded
- 1 Tbsp Splitted dehusked mustard seeds (Mohrichi dal in Marathi)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Red Chilly/ Lal Mirch Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric/ Haldi Powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1 Cup Oil
- Heat oil in a pan up to smoking point. Turn off the flame and let the oil cool a little.
- Take all the ingredients in a bowl and mix them.
- Add the hot oil and mix well. Make sure the oil is not very hot as that may burn the spices.
- Let this mixture cool down to room temperature. Then add the chopped carrots and mix well.
- Transfer to a clean, moisture free, air-tight glass jar. Cover and keep for a day before eating. Mix well and refrigerate. The pickle stays good for a week when kept refrigerated in an air-tight jar.
This pickle can be made from Orange carrots too.