Fruit koshimbir or raita is basically a salad prepared using curd and diced fruits. It is rich in health-promoting ingredients and is considered good for the tummy.
Fruits are an abundant source of essential nutrients that our body needs. There are many different types of fruits that provide different kinds of health benefits.
It is easy to make delicious smoothies or other drinks out of fruits to reap their benefits.
Fruits are a powerful antioxidant, which helps to boost your immune system and give your skin a healthy glow.
Curd is a food that has been consumed since olden times as a nutritious food. Curd contains bacteria that can help fight off yeast infections and thus is a very healthy choice as a food and drink in moderation.
Curd also contains lactic acid, which acts as a fuel for friendly bacteria which helps to produce hydrogen peroxide, natural and good bacteria that keep the body healthy.
The lactic acid in curd helps to prevent bacteria from sticking to the walls of the stomach thus increasing the speed at which food is digested. This helps in reducing gas and bloating and therefore it is a healthy choice in diet plans and even for those who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome.
Fruit Koshimbir – Health Benefits
Fruit Koshimbir can be made by adding fruits like apple, banana, pomegranate or pineapple to curd. Adding a little sugar or honey gives this dish a wonderful taste.
By creating a combination of fruits and curd, you can reap the health benefits of both the ingredients at the same time.
Fruits and curd have a cooling effect on the body and are also good at detoxification because of the fiber content.
Although you can be creative and experiment with different the combination of fruits and curd, here are some fruits that taste great with curd:
- Apple: Apples are highly nutritious and delicious. They are packed with pectin, which is a fiber that provides a high level of anti-oxidants to the body. The sweet and sour taste of apple goes very well with curd.
- Banana: Bananas are a delicious fruit that is loved by people of all ages. They are extremely healthy too. They contain essential nutrients that provide benefits for your heart and stomach. The sweet taste of bananas goes really well with the sour taste of curd.
- Pomegranate: The little red or pink seeds of a pomegranate are a powerhouse of nutrients. They help fight cancer, help regulate blood pressure and are good for the heart too. Adding pomegranate seeds to curd gives the dish a nice nutty texture along with taste.
- Pineapple: Pineapple is another delicious and healthy fruit that you can eat with curd. It is loaded with nutrients and contains anti-oxidants which help build immunity. Add this sweet and sour fruit to curd to enjoy a tasty salad.
You may even add some nuts like Cashews or Almonds to give your dish a nutty texture. It will also increase the salad’s nutrient value.
The addition of curd gives this dish a creamy texture this making it a favorite among kids too. You may even choose to completely mash the fruits if you are preparing it for kids.
After knowing the benefits, you may surely like to try my recipe of Fruit Koshimbir.
This salad can be eaten as a dessert, a dip or just a snack on a lazy day. It is sure to keep you going because of the many nutrients that are packed in it.
You may like to try some other Koshimbir/Salads:
- 1 Apple Finely chopped.
- 1 Banana Finely chopped.
- 1/2 Cup Pomegranate
- 1 Cup Curd
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- Add all the chopped fruits and sugar to the curd and mix well. Serve chilled.
Liked the article? You may enjoy this too:
Fruits – Excellent Source of Happiness and Health
Let me know if you tried any of these quick and easy recipes by tagging me on Instagram @flavorsfromindia and hashtag it #anuyasrecipes
All health content on flavorsfromindia.com is provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your doctor. If you have any concerns about your health, you should contact your local healthcare provider.