Sunday mornings are a bit chilled out in our home. Sleeping a little more than usual, relaxed tea session and then a healthy breakfast is our usual routine.
Upma is a very common breakfast item all over the country and, thus, is on my list of breakfast items too. I make it at least once every week. As I have a little angel who is a little fussy about what she eats, I have to try new ideas to feed her healthy breakfast everyday. So, today I thought of making Upma loaded with grated Carrot.
So, go ahead and read how I made it.
An easy to make tasty and healthy breakfast.
- 1 Cup Roasted Rava/Semolina (Using Roasted rava helps reduce cooking time.)
- 2 Cups Boiled water
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai/Sarson)
- 1 Tsp Urad Dal (Split black lentils)
- 2 Green chillies (Cut them as you like. I cut it into pieces)
- 4-5 Curry Leaves (Kadipatta)
- Salt as per taste
- 1 Tsp Sugar (Optional)
- 1 Grated Carrot (You can add other vegetables of your choice – Chopped Onion, Boiled Green Peas, Boiled and chopped potatoes, etc.)
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Coriander (For garnishing)
- Heat Oil in a pan and add Mustard seeds, Urad Dal, Green chillies and Curry leaves.
- Let the Urad dal turn a little brown. Then add boiled water slowly.
Be very careful in this step as the water may splutter causing injury.
- Now add the grated Carrot and more than half of the grated Coriander. Leave little for garnishing 😉
- Now slowly add the Rava and mix. Cover and let it get steamed for a minute.
- Upma is ready. Serve hot garnished with Coriander and grated Carrot.