Carrot Upma is a very healthy, traditional breakfast dish that is mainly eaten in the South Indian states. It is one of the easiest Indian breakfast recipes and can be prepared in minutes without much pre-preparation.
Healthy breakfast helps you feel full. If you skip breakfast, your body will probably overeat later in the day. This is because when you skip the meal, your body continues to need the energy and thus you keep craving to eat more.
Many breakfast foods provide you with plenty of vitamins and nutrients without overloading your stomach. This makes you less likely to snack later. Research shows that when you eat breakfast, your metabolism stays more active than it does when you skip it.
A healthy breakfast keeps your brain satisfied and less distracted. You are also less likely to snack before or after eating your meal. Healthy breakfast reduces your risk for weight gain.
When you think of south Indian breakfast, first thing that comes to mind is a bowl full of steaming hot Upma. It is not just a favorite in south India but also in the rest of the country.
It is made in at least once a week in every household and almost all restaurants in India have Upma in their breakfast menu.
Traditionally Upma is made using Rava (semolina). You can also add vegetables if you want to give a healthier breakfast to kids.
Rava is a versatile grain that has many benefits:
- Boosts energy
- Rich in Iron
- Contains no cholesterol
- Contains good amount of calcium
- Can help in weight loss if eaten in the right way
Vegetables you can add in Upma
This interesting breakfast dish is very versatile and you can be creative and add lots of vegetables to make it healthier.
Benefits of Upma
This healthy breakfast keeps you full longer and thus prevents you from indulging into mid-meal snacks.
One bowl of Upma is loaded with fiber, healthy fats and vitamins. Thus it qualifies for a healthy meal.
Carrot Upma – Recipe
While I am sharing with you the recipe for Carrot Upma, you may add other vegetables to this dish too. Here are some that taste best in this dish:
- Onion: Onions add a good taste to meals and are healthy too. They help reduce cholesterol levels and thus, are good for the heart. Onions are rich in anit-oxidants and help control blood sugar too.
- Tomatoes: Bright red tomatoes add a wonderful flavour to the recipe along with loads of health benefits. Tomatoes are loaded with nutrients that help maintain a healthy heart and clear vision to name a few.
- Green Peas: Green peas add a lovely green color and give a nutty texture to the recipe. They are nutritious and contain a good amount of fiber and anti-oxidants.
- Carrot: This lovely pink root vegetable is very healthy. It aids weight loss, helps digestion and is good for the eyes.
You can add any one of the mentioned vegetables or a combination of any of them to the dish. You may even add all of these to make a colourful and flavourful Upma.
So go ahead and get creative in making this tasty and healthy breakfast.
- Cooking Spoon
- 1 Cup Roasted Rava/Semolina Using Roasted rava helps reduce cooking time.
- 2 Cups Boiled water
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai/Sarson)
- 1 Tsp Urad Dal (Split black lentils)
- 2 Green chillies Cut them as you like. I cut it into pieces
- 10-15 Curry Leaves (Kadipatta)
- Salt as per taste
- 1 Tsp Sugar Optional
- 1 Grated Carrot You can add other vegetables of your choice as described in the article.
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Coriander
- Juice of half lemon
- Heat Oil in a pan and add Mustard seeds, Urad Dal, Green chillies and Curry leaves.1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai/Sarson), 1 Tsp Urad Dal (Split black lentils), 2 Green chillies, 10-15 Curry Leaves (Kadipatta), 2 Tbsp Oil
- Let the Urad dal turn a little brown. Then add boiled water slowly. Be very careful in this step as the water may splutter causing injury.2 Cups Boiled water
- Now add the Sugar, grated Carrot and more than half of the grated Coriander. Leave little for garnishing. Let it boil.1 Tsp Sugar, 1 Grated Carrot, 1 Tbsp Chopped Coriander
- After the water starts boiling, slowly add the Rava, stirring continuously, to avoid lumps. Cover and let steam it for a minute.1 Cup Roasted Rava/Semolina
- Upma is ready. Serve hot, garnished with Coriander and grated Carrot.1 Tbsp Chopped Coriander, 1 Grated Carrot
Liked the tasty Carrot Upma? You may want to try my other Upma recipes too:
Enjoyed this? You may also like:
Vegetables – Powerhouse to well-being
Did you make any of these breakfast recipes? Tag @flavorsfromindia on Instagram and hashtag it #anuyasrecipes
All health content on flavorsfromindia.com is provided for general information only, and should not be treated as a substitute for the medical advice of your doctor. If you have any concerns about your health, you should contact your local healthcare provider.
2 thoughts on “Carrot Upma – A Very Healthy and Filling Breakfast | Easy Recipe”
Comments are closed.