Did you know that the Tomato omelette you get in restaurants is actually ‘Dhirda’ or ‘Cheela’ that your mom used to make when you came back from play and were hungry?
‘Dhirde’ is a Marathi term used for ‘Cheela’ or Veg Omelette. It is basically a pancake made using different dals or flours. You can make a pancake using Wheat flour, gram flour, yellow moong dal or green moong dal. Today I will share with you the recipe for making Gram flour pancake.
Besan Dhirde (Cheela)
A tasty and easy to make Pancake.
- 2 Cups Besan/Chane ka Atta or Gram Flour
- 2 Tsp Red Chilly/ Lal Mirch Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric/ Haldi Powder
- 2 Tsp Jeera/Cumin
- 1 Tsp Carom Seeds/Ajwain
- 1 Chopped Tomato
- 1 Chopped Onion
- Oil for roasting
- Salt as per taste
- Water to make the batter
- Take Gram flour in a bowl and add all spices to it.
- Add water and make a little thick batter
- Heat a pan/tava and grease it with some Oil. Pour the batter to make the pancake.
- Add the chopped Tomato and Onion over the Pancake. Pour a little oil over the pancake and a little on the sides.
- Let the pancake cook till it leaves the base of the pan. Then carefully flip it. Pour some oil along the sides and cook.
- Flip again and cook till the pancake turns a little brown on both sides.
- Pancake is ready. Serve with your favorite sauce/pickle/chutney. Here I have served it with green coconut chutney.