A lazy Saturday morning today and so I thought of making something simple for lunch. Just Aamti and Poli. I have heard a saying from many – “Dal Roti khao, Prabhu ke gun gao”. I can actually do that! I love this combination a lot. A simple and easy to cook, complete meal.
Aamti is a little spicy dal that is also a little sweet and sour. My mom used to make Aamti with Rice, Poli and my favorite Bhendi chi bhaji. I will share with you today the recipe of Aamti.
We are using Tur Dal to make this recipe. Tur Dal provides many of the nutrients our body needs, such as protein, fat, fiber and carbohydrates thus making it a healthy option.
Aamti (Kokum Dal)
- 1 Cup Tur Dal
- 2 Cups Warm Water To cook the dal
- 1 Tsp Turmeric/ Haldi Powder
- 2 Tsp Red Chilly/ Lal Mirch Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander/Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 3-4 Pieces Kokum/Amsul
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tbsp Mustard Seeds (Rai/Sarson)
- 1 Green Chilly chopped
- 3-4 Curry Leaves (Kadipatta)
- 1 Tbsp Garam Masala/Kala Masala
- 2 Tbsp Jaggery
- Chopped Coriander For garnishing
- 1 Pinch Asafoetida
- Salt as per taste
- Soak kokum in a little water before continuing with the recipe process.
- Wash the Tur dal until water runs clear. Add 2 Cups warm Water, Red Chilly Powder, Turmeric Powder and Coriander Powder and pressure cook the dal for 3-4 whistles.
- After the pressure is released, mash the dal and add 1/2 cup water and Salt.
- Heat Oil in a pan. When the Oil is hot enough, add Asafoetida and Mustard seeds. After the Mustard Seeds crackle, add chopped green chilly and curry leaves.
- Carefully add the mashed dal to the pan. Stir and add the Kokum along with the water we had soaked it in, Jaggery and Garam Masala/Kala Masala and stir again and bring to a boil. Add Coriander and mix.
- Aamti is ready. Serve it with Roti or rice.
- Tur dal usually takes time to cook. We add warm Water so that it gets cooked fast.
- I have added the spices while cooking the dal to enhance the taste. You can add them at a later stage too i.e. after mashing the dal.